Friday, 22 May 2015

Possible reasons for recurrent miscarriages

So I've looked through many websites on the possible reasons for recurrent miscarriages, and here's a list of them:

1) Chromosomal abnormalities, which may happen by chance. It accounts for at least 60% of miscarriages. The fetal tissue can be taken to the lab for testing, which would reveal if it is chromosomally normal. If it is, then you can look for other issues which may be responsible for the recurrent miscarriages.
2) Antiphospholipid Syndrome (APS), which is found in 15% of women with recurrent miscarriages. These women have high levels of antiphospholipid antibodies At times these antibodies may see a sperm or embryo as a foreign object. Doctors may prescribe aspirin or heparin for this but there have been insufficient studies proving the quality of this treatment.
3) Thrombophilia, a blood clotting disorder which is something you're born with. It also explains 15% of recurrent miscarriages. Again, medication can be given but there has been insufficient studies for this treatment.
4) Abnormally shaped uterus or weak cervix. These are rare conditions and an ultrasound scan can be done to look at your womb for abnormalities.
5) Thyroid problems or uncontrolled diabetes.
6) Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS).
7) Bacterial infection.
8) Lifestyle, which includes smoking, drinking, doing drugs etc.
9) Genetic problems, whereby one partner or both partners may have abnormal chromosomes which doesn't cause a problem until it gets passed on to the baby. Karyotyping can be done both both partners and if there is a genetic problem, genetic counselling can be done.

I believe there are different schools of thoughts here.. It is said that 20% of pregnancies end up in miscarriages (that is 1 in 5!), so it's pretty common. I might just have been in the 20% population TWICE. That means consecutive bad luck. Also, chromosomal abnormalities that happen by chance accounts for 60% of miscarriages, which also makes it highly likely that it might just have been bad luck!

However, I will not rule out the possibilities of having any of the conditions stated above. Thus, it is still important to go through the tests to check if there is any underlying reason, and treat it if possible to prevent a future miscarriage.

For me, the test of the fetal tissue will be ready in 1.5 weeks' time. A blood test will also be performed when I get my next period, though I am not certain what the gynae is testing for (will double check with him at my next visit).

I will also be seeing another gynae for a second opinion sometime before my next period. My mom has been asking me to see him, saying that he was very professional dealing with her pregnancy with my brother. I would also recommend seeing another gynae as he may offer a different perspective or solution. I hope to have something concrete from that visit as well.

This is definitely not an easy process for me, and I sincerely hope that no other women would have to go through this pain..

No comments:

Post a Comment